- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- $69,820.00 -96,690.00/year*
Healthcare - Nursing
316 Mountain Ave
The Nurse Supervisor maintains full accountability for leading and managing the human resources, clinical, financial and administrative operations of an assigned practice(s) in order to continuously improve the quality of patient care and create a healthy workplace for staff in collaboration with organizational leadership.
* Analytical ability necessary to evaluate staff, address and improve clinical issues and devise solutions to complex problems. Leadership ability to develop staff, establish and maintain standards of performance. Superior interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to effectively create relationships to support a healing environment with patients, families, staff, physicians, and administrative personnel including senior management in both written and verbal communication. Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment
* Collaborates with medical staff to monitor patient outcomes; set clinical quality priorities, recommend and implement professional improvements and initiatives and implement practice-based safety initiatives. Analyzes staff and patient satisfaction outcome data and develops action plans to address as needed. Supports and encourages involvement of staff in the development and implementation of evidence-based practice and quality improvement initiatives. Actively oversees all aspects of regulatory compliance, including all outside agencies and audits as well as internal requirements, such as core competencies and training. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest
* Determine and flex staffing standards based on patient care needs, patient flow, medical acuity, procedures, staff skills and other clinical needs. Assumes accountability for day-to-day operations of the practice while continuing to function clinically when necessary. Serves as the departmental role model in all aspects of patient and community care. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
* Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by building teams and relationships through mentoring and modeling uplifting and positive communication. Resolves and manages conflict effectively and in a timely manner. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers and staff accountable for healthy relationships. Cares for staff, patients and self by planning a department work schedule in collaboration with team members that supports safety, appropriate worked hours and a healthy lifestyle. Accountable for management of safety hazards identified in the workplace.
* Establishes a culture of caring by promoting decisions that are patient centered and use the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychological and spiritual needs of the patient, family and staff. Applies national best practices and uses evidence based practice to build a culture of excellence in patient care. Sets clinical, financial and human resources priorities for improvement in concert with organizational goals. Demonstrates sound fiscal responsibility in the development and management of the practice budget and holds staff accountable for the efficient use of resources, as well as optimization of billing and documentation practices. Oversees program and patient coordination activities to ensure program goals and objectives are achieved by providing direction to staff, maintaining efficient operations and overseeing quality of patient care provided. Develop and optimize the clinical care tools of the practice and the physicians (scheduling templates, space, staffing mix and patient care protocols) that improve the quality of the overall product delivered to the patient.
* Sets high standards of performance for self and others by imposing standards of excellence and development of inquiry skills that are innovative, optimistic and supportive of professional growth. Creates developmental paths and plans for staff to increase the expertise and caliber of staff. Initiates innovation in staff development, clinical orientation, continuing education and supports specialty certification. Responsible for developing, marketing and coordinating programs to provide education and enhance consumer awareness. Oversees and manages the interviewing, selection, hiring, training, evaluating, and progressive discipline process of staff. Supports the development of students, new staff and colleagues Plans for orientation, training, preceptor initiation and evaluation period of new staff in department. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
* The Nurse Manager is administratively accountable for the management of all activity within the practice. Demonstrates the ability to create a shared vision that applies to critical thinking skills and utilizes financial and quality data and conceptual knowledge in the development of the department vision and operational plan. Orchestrates complex change and acknowledges the psychological transition on self and others. Involves stakeholders and experts in planning, designing and redesigning change.
* Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved. Supports staff during times of difficult transitions. Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Provides oversight and supervision to the overall practice environment, assisting all other disciplines and directing clinical/administrative activity. Oversees daily operations of practice with regards to patients, staff, physicians and ancillary support/departments. Assumes formal leadership responsibilities in the following: budget and financial formulation, staff levels and coverage, human resource management, departmental development and education and safety/regulatory reporting and preparation. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership. Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
* The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
* They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
* Minimum 5 years Nursing Experience required Progressive leadership experience with relevant clinical experience preferred.
* BSN or Bachelors in related health care field required MSN or Masters in a health care field preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
* Act 33 Child Clearance with Renewal
* Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal
* Act 73 FBI Clearance
* Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
* Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Associated topics: asn, cardiothoracic, care, hospice, infusion, neonatal, registered nurse, staff nurse, tcu, unit
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...