- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- $76,830.00 -117,070.00/year*
Healthcare - Allied Health
316 Mountain Ave
UPMC Altoona is excited to be hiring a LIMITED CASUAL Medical Technologist to help support the lab! This role will have rotating shifts.
Provide authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory testing of a routine and advanced nature. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. Apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes.
* Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, compliance and personnel policies. Follow established procedures for the collection (including phlebotomy, as required) and processing of specimens for analysis including the appropriateness and stability of the sample. Perform qualitative and quantitative analytical procedures according to established protocols with precision and accuracy in a timely and efficient manner.
* Assume responsibility for first-line supervision of the section/department on a temporary basis as delegated.
* Conduct, direct or assist with test development and methodology/equipment evaluation, selection and implementation.
* Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; respond to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
* Maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results.
* Operate and maintain equipment within the scope of training utilizing defined schedules and written instructions to perform quality control checks, preventive maintenance, and calibration. Perform minor repairs. Use reagents and supplies in a cost-effective manner; monitor and maintain an appropriate supply inventory.
* Recognize critical, abnormal and unacceptable test results and follow-up according to established protocols. Recognize factors that affect measurements and results and initiate the necessary corrective action according to established protocols. Identify problems with instrumentation, methodology, specimens, supplies, or results and take action as outlined in predetermined protocols.
* Train and orient new employees, students and residents, as applicable and as assigned.
* Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university AND successful completion of a CAHEA accredited Medical Technology program,
* OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science AND ASCP categorical certification,
* OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND at least two years experience in a role equivalent to that of a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) in a clinical laboratory,
* OR successful completion of the HEW (HHS) proficiency examination,
* OR equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA 88 and PA Bureau of Laboratories for technologist performing high complexity testing.
* Prefer 1 year experience in a hospital laboratory.
* Know medical terminology and laboratory information system.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
* ASCP Certification Required within one year of hire
* Act 34 Criminal Clearance
* American Society for Clinical Pathology
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Associated topics: blood collection, lab, medical lab science, medical technologist, sample collection, scientist, sterile processing technician, surgical technologist, technician lab, technologist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...