NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Care Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate Assists the professional nurse in the care of patients and families by completing assigned patient care tasks; provides competent, safe, and compassionate care with emphasis on an understanding of the challenges faced by hospitalization, undergoing procedures or diagnostic tests; provides support to the unit in the maintenance and safety of supplies, equipment and the environment; demonstrates NYULMC Core Values in all aspects of job performance.
* Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy, dignity, and rights.
* Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and environmental support.
* Assists in the collection of data for the units Quality and Performance Improvement Program, that includes patient satisfaction and other measures.
* Assists the nurse in the review and corrective action plans regarding patient/family response, and satisfaction.
* Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when needed.
* Discusses educational concerns and goals with the Nurse Manager or appropriate leadership.
* Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
* Participates in the orientation process of other patient care technicians. Participates in unit meetings and conferences.
* Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient care technicians.
* Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups and different cultures.
* Assists in supporting unit activities as requested. Assists in emergency situations as directed.
* Utilizes specialized skills and safety when carrying out specific tasks of patient care as assigned, including phlebotomy, fingersticks for glucose, and electrocardiograms.
* Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control standards.
* Assists in data collection and activities as assigned.Assists in maintaining safety and comfort needs of patients and families.Assists with admission, transfer and discharge procedures per unit / service operations.
* Verbally and non-verbally communicates responsiveness and support to patients, families, and other staff.
* Observes general behavior and reports same to the registered nurse to whom assigned.
* Provides assistance to patients in the activities (listed in the Performance Standards by service/unit) as applicable.
* Completes delegated responsibilities as directed by the registered nurse.
* Uses a clear, caring and respectful communication style with patients and families, nurses and other members of the health care team. Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
* Answers patients call lights promptly and effectively; completes patient requests for assistance with personal care and activity, and reports those requests not within the role of the patient care technician to the professional nurse assigned to the patient.
* Reports all observations concerning patients to the professional nurse responsible for the patient on a given shift Responds to requests for specific tasks as delegated by any registered professional nurse.
* Provides for security of patients personal property, and handles valuables according to hospital procedure. Maintains cleanliness of the nursing unit as appropriate to position. (i.e., utility room, unit refrigerators, etc.).
* Gives direct assistance to all team members, including registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, physicians, nursing attendants, patient unit clerks, escort, dietary and other health care employees.
* Assists in having patient ready for scheduled appointments including placing the patient on a stretcher or in a wheelchair.
* Runs errands to other departments, including but not limited to, the delivery of specimens and equipment.
* Assists in keeping patient environment, patient equipment and patient care areas/units clean, safe and orderly.
* Ensures that necessary equipment and supplies are present in the patient rooms and on the unit.
* Demonstrates knowledge of the NYULMCs Core Values and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
To qualify you must have a High school graduate or equivalent required. Patient Care Technician Certification required upon hire or transfer into the position. If hired and/or transferred after 9/30/17, must have BLS certification upon entry into the position. Competencies: Working knowledge of English is evident in verbal, reading and writing abilities; other language an asset; demonstrated ability in computer skills; proficiency in venipuncture and phlebotomy required. Minimum of one year of experience, as a Patient Care Technician within the last two years. Demonstrates physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal \"EEO is the law\" poster or visit for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Associated topics: acute, caregiver, crma, home health, labor, lds, midwife, patient care, pcs, stp
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...