Looking for a Surgical Services Technician to join our growing Cardio/Infusion Toxicology team in Somerset, NJ. Covance's work in developing new pharmaceutical solutions has an incredible impact on the lives of millions worldwide. Join us & be a part of this life-saving work!
The Surgical Services Technician provides primary care to the animals and performs routine invasive and non-invasive technical procedures on studies allocated to the team. Collects data manually and using various computer systems. Performs routine biological sample collection. Maintains records of various study activities; prepares forms, books and files for collection and storage of such records. Broadens technical competency by undertaking training in a predefined list of procedures from another department or discipline. Ensures that procedures are conducted according to protocol and SOP requirements. Adheres to the Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations and the guidelines in The Guide to the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals issued by the Institute for Laboratory Animal Research.
This job contributes to organizational success by:
* Assuming responsibility for one or more basic study types and prepares associated equipment, materials and data files.
* Provides support in the preparation, monitoring, and post op care of surgical candidates
* Actively contributes to the care and welfare of animals in studies assigned to the Surgical Services team.
* Assists the data quality coordinator in terming and organizing study data.
* Develops understanding of study design, company policies and standard operating procedures; complies with defined requirements.
* Completes a range of delegated tasks in an organized and effective manner.
* Captures a broad range of data utilizing the department's on-line data capture system and manually records data.
* Actively contributes to the maintenance of high standards of animal room hygiene and presentation.
* Recognizes signs of pain and distress and takes appropriate action to alleviate such conditions. Accurately produces and submits veterinary requests.
* Under the direction of the Veterinarian and Study Director, provides necessary treatment to animals.
* Assesses the clinical condition of animals and accurately records observations in accordance with defined terminology.
* Assists in the \"on the job training\" of new staff under the direction of line manager.
* Routinely work with chemicals and/or other hazardous materials.
* Wear respiratory protection and/or other personal protective equipment as required.
* Performs any other duties as required or assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Animal Science preferred; equivalent experience accepted
2+ years experience in Laboratory Research environment
Associated topics: general surgery, laparoscopic, robotics, surg, surgeon, surgery, surgery physician
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.