Common Threads is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is national in scope, with strong roots in each of our 12 major program locations. Now celebrating our 15th year, we are dedicated to teaching children and families about cooking and nutrition education to encourage health and wellness. We equip under-resourced communities with information to make affordable, nutritious and appealing food choices wherever they live, work, learn, and play. We know that food is rooted in culture and tradition so we promote diversity in our lessons and recipes. We believe that adequate and healthy food contributes to well being.
Position Overview: Nutrition Educator
Common Threads is seeking a Nutrition Educator to lead adult classes in Brooklyn and Staten Island. This position will be expected to build relationships at the district, school, and community level. The ideal candidate is someone who is responsible for maintaining a high quality of implementation, scheduling, auditing and communication with school administrators and staff, community partners, and the Common Threads team. This position will work with and share responsibilities with Program Coordinators and PSE Coordinator. There will be frequent travel within the city to partner schools, and a training trip to the Albany once a year.
* Responsible for teaching all adult programming and supporting youth programs
* Teach nutrition lessons to adults and lead Grocery Store Tours and Parent Workshops
* Coordinate and conduct Health Teacher Trainings
* Provide support for Common Bytes (online web application) and set-up for usage in classrooms
* Assist with scheduling programs and events
* Visit classes to ensure quality assurance of programming
* Administer pre- and post-surveys to students and families and manage paperwork
* Utilize CRM to help track all program data
* Enter data into reporting system to streamline data collection and evaluation for all programs and interventions
* Purchase necessary groceries for the cooking portion of each lesson and track receipts
The above statements are intended to describe the essential job functions of this role and are not an exhaustive list of all duties performed by personnel occupying this position.
* Bachelors degree required. Nutrition, dietetics, community and behavioral health, health education, public health, or nursing background required
* Experience in health and nutrition education required
* Possess positive, upbeat energy and a passion for wellness, food access, tolerance and awareness, and making a positive impact on society
* 3-5+ years experience in not-for-profit organizations preferred
* Experience coordinating or conducting trainings and professional development sessions
* Experience working with a CRM preferred
* Strong time management and logical thinking skills; must be task-oriented
* Solid analytical and problem-solving skill set
* Strong skills in written & verbal communication, organization and collaboration
* Computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel, Outlook and Google Drive documents. Experience with other software, including Salesforce, PEARS, Slack and Asana a plus.
* Experience working with culturally diverse audiences
* Experience and/or high comfort level working virtually with internal and external team members
* Must have access to a car/public transportation and willing to travel locally
* A commitment to the mission and values of Common Threads
* Common Threads employees are subject to a background check and fingerprinting prior to employment
* This is a full-time position that will primarily work Monday- Friday, but some nights and/or weekends may be required
* Candidate must attend mandatory training in Albany, NY on December 3-4, 2019 and other virtual or in-person trainings, as required
* This position is grant funded and Common Threads anticipates this funding will be confirmed in early October, which would allow for an expected start date in October or November 2019.
* Candidate should ideally reside in Brooklyn or Staten Island.
* Position reports to the New York City Program Manager
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Common Threads EEO Statement:
Common Threads provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Common Threads complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Common Threads expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Common Threads employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
How to apply:
View the full application online and apply at
Associated topics: dairy, dietician, exercise, food, headstart, icf mr, nutritional, nutritionist, sfs, swine
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...